Rate this Recipe:
These cute cookies decorated with fondant icing in a heart-shaped ladybird pattern would make a lovely romantic gift on Valentine day
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 12 mins
Cook time: 12 mins
- 175g plain flour
- 100g chilled butter , cubed
- 85g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 500g ready-to-roll fondant icing
- Red food coloring
- 100g icing sugar
- black food coloring
- edible pearly ball decorations
YOU WILL ALSO NEED
- 8cm heart-shaped cutter
- 6cm heart-shaped cutter
- Put the flour, butter, sugar, vanilla and egg yolk in a food processor.
- Dribble in 1 tbsp water and blitz until the mixture comes together to form a dough.
- Tip onto a work surface and knead briefly to bring together, then wrap in cling film and chill for 20mins.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Roll out the dough to the thickness of a £1 coin.
- Use your 8cm heart cutter to stamp out heart shapes - you'll have to re-roll the trimmings to make 20 biscuits.
- Put the hearts on 2 baking trays and bake for 12mins, swapping the trays over halfway through, until pale golden and crisp.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Dye your lump of icing with red food coloring and wrap in cling film until ready to roll.
- Mix the icing sugar with enough water to make a thick icing.
- Dye the icing with the black food coloring.
- Pour the icing into a piping bag with a small plain nozzle attached (or use a small sandwich bag and snip off the corner).
- Roll out the red icing to 3mm thick and use your 6cm cutter to stamp out hearts.
- Stick onto the biscuits with a little of the black icing.
- Use the black icing to give your love bug a head at the pointy end, draw a line down the centre to give it wings, then add spots.
- Stick 2 pearly balls onto each love bug's head, then leave to set on a wire rack.
- You can pack your love bugs into boxes or cellophane bags to give as gifts for Valentine's Day.
NUTRITION PER BISCUIT
- 166 kcalories
- protein 1g
- carbohydrate 29g
- fat 5 g
- saturated fat 3g
- fibre 0g
- sugar 22g
- salt 0.1 g