Rate this Recipe:
A velvety smooth carrot soup is perfect on it's own for supper or as an impressive dinner party starter.
Prep 45 - 1 hr
- large knob of butter
- 700g carrots , peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion , thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove , crushed
- 1l light vegetable stock
- 125ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- double cream , for drizzling - optional
- Melt the butter gently in a medium saucepan then add the carrots, onion and garlic.
- Cover with a lid and leave over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened but not colored (about 12 minutes).
- Pour in the stock and sprinkle in a little salt (if using a cube, hold back on the salt and adjust it at the end).
- Bring to the boil and simmer, partially covered, for 20-30 minutes or until the vegetables are very soft.
- Take off the heat and leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Strain the vegetables through a sieve set over a bowl. Reserve the liquid.
- Transfer the vegetables to a food processor or blender.
- Process until smooth, adding enough of the strained liquid to make the mixture turn easily in the machine.
- Set the sieve over the cleaned pan and push the puréed vegetables through (this step is not essential but gives the soup a very smooth finish).
- Pour in the liquid and stir well to blend.
- Tip in the orange juice and mint and gently reheat the soup.
- Stir and taste to see if more salt is needed, then pour into warmed bowls.
- If you like the idea of the cream, drizzle a little over the top.
- 120 kcalories,
- protein 3g,
- carbohydrate 19g,
- fat 4 g,
- saturated fat 2g,
- fibre 4g,
- salt 1 g
ENJOY and don't forget to post comments and rate this recipe