Rate this Recipe:
Another mouth watering chicken and cheese enchiladas recipe from Mexico.
Prep time › 1/4 hr
Cook time › 1/4 hr
For the sauce:
- 1 small red onion, halved
- 675g tomatoes (green if possible), halved if large
- 1 to 2 large red chillies, stemmed and de-seeded
- 120ml chicken stock
- Pinch of sugar
- 8 corn tortillas
- 450g roasted chicken, shredded
- 250g shredded mozzarella and/or mild cheddar cheese
- 20g fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing
- 75g queso fresco or feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the grill. Slice half of the onion into thin rings and set aside.
- Place the other onion half, tomatoes and chillies on a foil-lined baking sheet and grill until the vegetables are soft and slightly brown, 7 to 10 minutes, turning as needed.
- Transfer the vegetables and any liquid to a blender, add the stock and puree.
- Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the sugar.
- Meanwhile, stack the tortillas, wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave just until warm and soft, 1 minute; keep covered.
- Toss the chicken with 200g shredded cheese in a bowl.
- Spoon a portion of the chicken mixture down the middle of each tortilla.
- Add a few coriander leaves and roll up.
- Place the tortillas side by side in a lightly oiled 23 x 33cm baking dish and brush with the 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Grill until crisp and golden, 3 minutes.
- Pour the tomatillo sauce over the tortillas and top with the remaining 50g shredded cheese.
- Place under grill and leave until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Garnish with the onion rings, queso fresco and any remaining coriander.
Nutrition Information (Per Serving):
- Calories 626
- Fat 32 g (Saturated 13 g)
- Cholesterol 98 mg
- Sodium 1,056 mg
- Carbohydrate 46 g
- Fiber 6 g
- Protein 47 g
ENJOY and don't forget to post comments and rate this recipe