Rate this Recipe:
Another sweet and mouth watering Chinese Red Bean Bao Recipe for New Chinese Year
For the dough:
- 500g plain flour, plus a little extra for dusting
- 1 sachet (7g) of fast-action yeast
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 300ml warm water
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
For the Bao filling:
- 1/2 jar red bean paste
For the garnish:
- 16 goji berries
- Put all the ingredients for the buns apart from the water and sesame oil into a bowl and roughly combine.
- Pour half the warm water into the dry ingredients and stir. Pour in the remaining water and mix well.
- Dust a clean surface with a little of the extra flour, and tip the dough onto it. knead with your hands for five minutes.
- Once kneaded , if possible try to shape your dough into a rough 'bun'.
- Rub the inside of a large bowl with the sesame oil. Put in your dough, cover with cling film or a clean tea towel, place in a warm place and leave to prove until the dough has at least doubled in size.
- This normally takes a minimum of 90 minutes.
- Tip the dough onto a floured surface and knead again to knock out the air.
- Take a golf-ball sized piece of dough and flatten with the palm of your hand.
- Spoon at least one and a half teaspoons of the red bean paste into the middle of the flattened pastry.
- Carefully pull up the edges of the dough to encase the filling in a ball shape, and then smooth the edges and place on a floured tray.
- Repeat the process with the remaining dough and filling, then cover the buns with a damp tea towel and leave to rise for another 15 minutes.
- Once raised, place each one on a small disc of baking parchment with the join underneath.
- Top each bun with two goji berries.
- Place in a steamer and cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Once cooked serve immediately and there you have it your very own Chinese Red Bean Bao!