Rate this Recipe:
For a quick and healthy meal, try our Chicken and barley salad recipe.
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 (250g each) chicken breast fillets, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 brown onion, halved
- 4 green onions, trimmed, white part only thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted red capsicum strips
- 75g baby rocket
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Place barley in a bowl. Cover with warm water. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Drain. Transfer to a large saucepan.
- Add 6 cups cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until tender.
- Rinse under cold water. Drain. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, place chicken, peppercorns and brown onion in a large saucepan.
- Add 5 cups cold water. Partially cover. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or until just cooked through.
- Remove from heat. Set aside for 5 minutes. Remove chicken from onion mixture.
- Set aside to cool slightly. Discard onion mixture. Shred chicken.
- Add chicken to barley.
- Add green onion, capsicum, rocket and pine nuts. Season with pepper.
- Make dressing: Place lemon juice, oil, cumin and honey in a screw-top jar. Secure lid.
- Shake to combine. Pour over chicken mixture.
- Toss to combine. Serve.
- Energy: 1660kJ
- Fat saturated: 1.60g
- Fat Total: 10.90g
- Carbohydrate Total: 36.50g
- Dietary Fibre: 7.40g
- Protein; 34.30g
- Cholesterol; 81.00mg
- Sodium: 90mg
ENJOY and don't forget to post comments and rate this recipe