Rate this Recipe:
Celebrate Chinese New Year with this traditional almond jelly and sweet melon salad.
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons powdered gelatine
- 185ml can evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond essence
- 565g can lychees in syrup, drained, reserving 1/2 cup syrup
- 1/4 small (1kg) seedless watermelon, peeled, chopped
- 1/2 small honeydew melon, peeled, chopped
- 1/2 small rockmelon, peeled, chopped
- Place sugar and 2 cups cold water in a saucepan over low heat.
- Stir for 4 to 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to medium. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Sprinkle over gelatine.
- Stir with a fork until gelatine has dissolved.
- Combine milk and almond essence in a bowl.
- Add sugar mixture, stirring, in a slow steady stream.
- Pour into a 3cm-deep, 20cm x 30cm lamington pan.
- Cover. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set.
- Combine lychees, melons and reserved syrup in a bowl.
- Run a palette knife around edge of pan.
- Invert pan onto a chopping board.
- Press base of pan to release jelly. Cut jelly into squares.
- Serve jelly with lychee and melon salad.
ENJOY and don't forget to post comments and rate this recipe